About Those with damaged or fine hair tender to need extra protein from time to time. This is a protein treatment created by Naturally Curly Curl Talk Forum user IAgirl . Note that it is not vegan.
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 pinch (a dash... a bit less than 1/8 tsp) citric acid or 1/4 tsp apple cinder vinegar
- 1 - 3 drops of oil of choice (Coconut, Argan, Jojoba, and others will work)
- a couple teaspoons of conditioner
- a teaspoon of honey
- 1/4 of a banana, pureed (honey and banana seem to add more body and shine)
Add packet of unflavored gelatin to a heat resistent bowl. Pour boiling water over the powdered gelatin and stir until completely dissolved. If using honey, add once the gelatin has dissolved. Let it cool slightly and add the citric acid or vinegar and mix. Add other optional ingredients (oil, conditioner, banana) when the mixture cools to a touchable temperature. Mix well.
Apply to washed, squeezed-dry hair. (If gelatin has cooled enough to gel, heat it a little in the microwave to liquefy). Use with a plastic bag or cap for 3-5 minutes and rinse out really well. You may also wrap your hair in a warm towel, or just let the shower run over the plastic cap to intensify the treatment effect.
- 1 tsp + ⅛ tsp gelatin
- 1 tbsp water (coconut milk if I have that around)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp oil (usually 1 1/2 tsp each olive and coconut oil)
- ½ tbsp conditioner
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1/8 tsp citric acid
Mix the gelatin and water in a small microwave safe container (a glass mason jar or small glass or ceramic bowl works well). Begin microwaving the mixture in 30 second intervals. Take it out of the microwave just before it starts to boil, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. If the mixture starts to boil, take it out immediately, because it will boil over. Add the honey and the coconut oil while still hot so they will melt. Once the mixture has cool slightly, 1-2 minutes, stir in the other ingredients. Cool until a touchable temperature before you apply.</p>
Apply to washed, squeezed-dry hair. Leave on for 3-5 minutes or up to one hour. If you are new to protein treatments, start with 3-5 minutes and work up to leaving it in longer.